Step-by-Step Instructions: Enabling and Using FileViews
You can organize your files in unlimited ways using FileViews! What is FileViews? Think of it as virtual folders that contain links back to documents stored in other folders of your folder tree. This means you can place bits and pieces of data from other folders that you might not want shared in their entirety and simply share the FileView. The recipient gets all the information they need, and you keep your other documents private.
Let's Get Started:
The FileViews default setting is disable, which means this feature is turned off and virtual folders are hidden. To enable FileViews:
1. Click on the User Profile toolbar button.
2. In the Folder Tree section, click in the Disable Virtual Folders (FileViews) check box to enable.
3. Click the Save button.
Defining a New FileView
1. Expand the FileViews main folder.
2. Right click the My Views folder, then select New Folder.
3. Enter a name for the new FileView (long names are supported), then select the OK button.
4. The folder tree will refresh and your new virtual folder will appear.
Linking Files to a File View
The power behind FileViews begins when you link your existing files and folders into the new virtual structure. Linking files and folders is simple, just drag-and-drop any file or folder into the FileView nodes (this creates a "pointer" to your files, in the FileView).
1. Expand your root folder and locate the files or folders you wish to link into your FileView.
2. Right click on the file or folder you wish to link to your FileView and click move.
3. The Move Selected Items screen will appear. Select the FileView folder where you would like to create the link and click Add Link Now.
4. Refresh your page and the linked document will appear in the FileView you designated.
Important Information About FileViews
- The documents inside of the FileView folders are links to the original documents.
- When a virtual folder is part of a GroupShare™ where the subaccount has full access, users may edit the documents. Edits made to the "virtual" document will be reflected in the original document.
Still Have Questions?
If you need help or have additional questions about the FileViews feature, please contact us. FilesAnywhere LIVE customer support is available weekdays 9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time. Our customer support is always free, and all engineers are located at our headquarters in the U.S.